Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Radio Show



Tonight at the documentary and animation seminar, Sheila Sofian gave me an idea about a project for us. She said she makes her film entirely with her recorded dialogue before she makes any images. The film is composed like a radio show. This is a great idea for the sound group. I used to love the old Orson Welles, Mercury Theater programs. I have one at home that I'll bring next week with The Conversation. They did sound effects, acting and perspective work. I've always wanted to try something like that. We should study this more....

2 comments:

BLee said...

Sheila's method is definitely a different approach from the one I'm used to taking. I always use the images to drive my sounds, and use sound oftentimes as a cheat to get across what I can't fully express visually, i.e. I use it to trick the eye into believing something that's not there.

Anyway, I uses to listen to a lot of Adam Sandler audio sketches, and as foolish as most of them are, they do a great job of telling a story through dialogue and sound effects. He did a skit called "The Peeper," and someone actually animated it for the album on which it was released. I'm looking forward to seeing what Welles' work has in common with Sandler's.

Jean Wang said...

oh, that sounds great! Do I have chance to see that one?